Students will be exposed to the theories and concepts of leadership style and leadership change at school level. Students are required to study certain cases that are leadership-related at the school, district (District Education Office) and state (State Education Department) levels.
The programme aims to produce educators who are professionally competent and intellectually, spiritually, emotionally, physically and socially balanced and are able to apply the knowledge and skills acquired and conduct research in the related fields.
The broad educational aim of this graduate programme in Educational Studies is to build a strong foundation of knowledge and to develop problem solving; teamwork and communication skills of educators to drive forward the nation and humanity at the large in tandem with the university’s charter and philosophy.
Upon completion of the programme, graduates are expected to:
1) apply educational theories in their respective areas of specialization at various educational settings.
2) utilize their professional knowledge and skills to become effective practitioner- researchers.
3) apply universal work and research ethics in executing their professional responsibilities.
4) overcome educational challenges through reflective practices.
5) engage in research related activities.
Master of Science (Principalship) is offered in two modes:
- Coursework; and
Name: Dr. Khaliza binti Saidin
Tel: +604-928 5063
SPECIFIC ADMISSION REQUIREMENT
Applicants for the Master’s Programme under the UUM College of Arts and Sciences must possess:
a) A Bachelor’s degree with Honours from University Utara Malaysia or any other institution of higher learning recognized by the University Senate with a CGPA at least 2.75; or
b) A Bachelor’s degree with Honours from Universiti Utara Malaysia or any other institution of higher learning recognized by the University Senate with a CGPA less than 2.75 and relevant working experience; or
c) Any other equivalent qualification recognized by the University Senate; and
d) Fulfills the English Language requirement.
PROGRAMME STRUCTURE- (A) Coursework
Students have to fulfil at least 42 credit hours, which comprise of:
Mode of Studies Courses CORE COURSE
(11 CREDIT HOURS)
- SGDU5024 Leadership in Education
- SGDU5063 Human Resources Development in Education
- SGDU5074 Strategic Management in Education
(7 CREDIT HOURS)
- SGDP5053 Statistic in Education
- SZRZ6014 Research Methodology
(12 CREDIT HOURS)
- SGDU5013 Instructional Leadership and Supervision
- SGDU5053 Principalship and School Management
- SGDU5083 Creativity in Management for Effective Schools
- SGDU5113 Governance and Administration of Schools
(6 CREDIT HOURS)
Choose 2 courses from the courses listed below or any courses offered under Educational Studies:
- SGDG6023 Seminar on Contemporary Issues in Educational Management
- SGDU6033 Organizational Behaviour in Education
- SGDU6093 Quality Management in Education
(6 CREDIT HOURS)
- SGDZ6996 Project Paper
PROGRAMME STRUCTURE- (B) Research
Research Details REQUIREMENTS Students are required to:
- Present and defend the proposed research to a committee;
- Present progress reports of research work at colloquiums arranged by the Graduate School or College;
- Attend a viva session to defend the thesis; and
- Submit a final thesis.
Students without sufficient research skills and knowledge are required to attend and pass the following courses with at least a B grade before being allowed to defend their proposal (i.e. within the first two semesters of their enrollment):
- SZRZ6014 Research Methodology;
- SCLE6014 Academic Writing; and/or
- Any other course as determined by the supervisor or Academic Committee.